The heaviest Covid-19 patient in Hai Duong was healthy

Hai DuongA 60-year-old male patient, treated at Field Hospital No. 2, who had been critical after one night, on March 11 was healthy, walking and living on his own.

Doctors of Hai Duong Medical Technical Hospital (Field Hospital No. 2), on March 11, said that this was once the heaviest Covid-19 patient in Hai Duong. He was hospitalized on February 18, with a critical development overnight, lungs thickened on both sides, and was consulted by the Treatment Subcommittee on the afternoon of February 19.

When hospitalized, the patient was in severe condition, required non-invasive mechanical ventilation, the prognosis was very severe, the index of oxygen saturation in the blood was only 70%. Doctors assess the patient as critical, unresponsive to non-invasive mechanical ventilation, endotracheal intubation, mechanical ventilation, and treatment in the intensive care unit (ICU).

The patient used tranquilizers, dialysis, and bilateral thickened lungs. The doctor diagnosed a patient with Covid-19 pneumonia with ARDS complications (progressive acute respiratory failure).

After the treatment process, the patient’s health progressed clearly. On the morning of February 23, the patient pulled out the endotracheal tube. On February 25, the patient started to practice walking. On the afternoon of March 7, the patient was transferred from the Department of Rehabilitation to the Department of Internal Medicine – Infectious Diseases for treatment.

On March 11, after nearly a month of treatment, the patient had stopped fever for 12 days, the tests returned to normal, the lung damage improved very well.

Currently, the patient is self-breathing room, can move and live by himself, without the help of doctors. The patient continued to receive Covid-19 treatment regimen of the Ministry of Health. Doctors said, the last time we tested, the patient was still positive for nCoV.

To date, Hai Duong Field 2 Hospital has received a total of 376 Covid-19 medical conditions, of which 215 cases were cured and discharged.

The patient was trained by the medical staff to practice walking. Image: Ministry of Health provided

Thuy Quynh