Health

The boy was bitten by a red-tailed snake


HCMCA 4-year-old boy went to the garden to play, bitten by a red-tailed snake on the back of his left foot, his leg was bruised, swelling spread to half his leg.

About two hours later, the bite was swollen up to the knee. Family members went to the garden to hunt down the snake and brought it to the hospital with the baby for the doctor to see.

Doctor Danh Xam Bach, Emergency Department, Thu Duc District Hospital, on December 26, biting the baby is a red-tailed green snake. The doctor on duty for the baby uses a serum against green snake venom, washed the wound, and used antibiotics to prevent infection, vaccinated tetanus.

Currently, the baby is awake, the wound at the bite stops getting worse, reducing swelling. The baby continues to receive anti-venom serum.

The boy’s feet are swollen after being bitten by a snake. Photo provided by the hospital.

According to Dr. Bach, a few days ago the hospital also accepted a 49-year-old patient who was bitten by a red-tailed snake when she went to the garden to grow vegetables and accidentally hit a snake. The bite on the back of her foot made her feet swollen, hot, painful, and then bruised and swollen spread across her ankle. After emergency management, infusion of anti-venom serum, her health is now stable.

“In Vietnam, the two families of poisonous snakes are the cobra family and the green snake family. When bitten by a snake, you should not search and hunt for snakes to bring to the doctor because it will take time to cure and endanger your life. the family “, Dr. Bach recommended. Doctors can rely on the snakebite symptom group to identify which species of snake, and then seek appropriate treatment.

Doctor Bach shared that the common mistake in first aid for snakebites is slitting, sucking venom, tying garo, applying foreign substances to the bitten area. Incorrect first aid will cause additional harm to a person bitten by a snake such as infection, limb amputation, or even death.

The first way to give first aid to snakebites is to bring the victim away from the scene safely. Patients must limit movement, wash, compress and fix the limb bitten by a snake to limit the absorption of venom through the lymphatic route. Call emergency outpatient 115, or transfer the patient to an emergency hospital by himself, and infuse anti-snake venom if indicated. First aid and proper use of anti-snake venom are very important in snakebite management.

Le Phuong