Health

Taking an overdose of vitamin D, two brothers suffered acute kidney failure


HanoiTwo 3-year-old and 18-month-old boys were hospitalized with vomiting and abdominal pain. The doctor diagnosed vitamin D poisoning and acute kidney failure due to long-term overdose.

The family said that in order for the child to grow up healthy and not suffer from rickets, they should regularly give the two babies vitamin D every day since birth. After that, she saw that the two children liked to drink and thought vitamins were tonics, so it’s okay to drink as much as you like, more than the prescribed dose and many times for a long time.

About two weeks before admission, the two children suffered from vomiting, constipation, and abdominal pain 8-9 times a day. The doctor of the National Children’s Hospital determined that both brothers had hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria, vitamin D levels increased very high compared to the normal limit, diagnosed vitamin D poisoning, acute kidney failure.

On July 23, Doctor Nguyen Thi Ngoc, Department of Nephrology – Dialysis, National Children’s Hospital, said that vitamin D is a mineral that plays an important role in the absorption and metabolism of calcium to help strengthen bones. Vitamin D is found in very little food, mainly synthesized by exposure to sunlight, or provided orally. Many parents want their children to be tall and strong, so they should supplement them from a young age. “However, long-term overdose of vitamin D carries a risk of toxicity,” the doctor said.

Vitamin D poisoning is a rare condition that, if not detected early and treated promptly, will lead to serious complications. Children with vitamin D poisoning often have symptoms of hypercalcemia such as poor appetite, weight loss, abdominal pain, vomiting, constipation, drinking a lot, urinating a lot, causing life-threatening dehydration. Dehydration, decreased glomerular filtration rate and pyramidal calcification can compromise kidney function.

The maximum oral dose recommended by the Endocrine Society for children under 6 months is 1,000 UI a day; 12-month-old is 1,500 UI; children from one to 3 years old is 2,500 UI; 4-8 years old is 3,000 UI; over 9 years old is 4,000 UI. However, in some cases, the toxic dose may be higher or lower than the recommended dose.

Doctors recommend that in order to ensure the safest health for children, parents need to consult medical professionals before using drugs and vitamins. Children’s caregivers must know and use the correct dose of medicine. , vitamins as directed. Do not arbitrarily buy drugs, vitamins for children to take. Do not take a prescription from a previous visit or a prescription from another child or an adult for the child.

Medicines and vitamins should be stored carefully in sealed vials, labeled with the drug’s name and expiration date. Keep medicines and vitamins out of sight and reach of children, preferably in a locked cabinet. Periodically clean the family medicine cabinet, remove expired and damaged medicines.

Thuy An

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *