Health

Poisoning by eating strange mushrooms


Ha GiangThe 21-year-old girl, after eating a brownish white mushroom picked from the garden, had abdominal pain, vomiting, shortness of breath, and rapid heartbeat.

Doctors at Bac Quang Regional General Hospital, on August 25, informed that the patient was diagnosed with poisoning due to eating mushrooms, treating gastric lavage, infusion, laxative to push toxins out of the body.

After a period of active treatment, the patient’s health stabilized.

According to doctors, poisonous mushrooms are usually mushrooms that are beautiful, eye-catching and delicious. Mushroom poisoning includes early and late manifestations. Early manifestations usually appear 30 minutes to two hours after eating, up to a maximum of 6 hours. Late manifestations appear 6 to 40 hours after eating, with an average of 12 hours.

The degree of poisoning depends on the type of fungus. Victims have nausea, discomfort, sometimes severe abdominal pain or vomiting blood, frequent bowel movements, fishy-smelling stools; tired, cold, sometimes red rash; If severe, convulsions, coma.

The slower symptoms appear, the more severe the poisoning, which can be life-threatening. Mushroom poisoning appears more than 6 hours after eating, which means that when the poison has entered the body, the first aid measures are almost ineffective. Patients who come to the hospital late, have gastrointestinal damage, hepatitis, kidney failure are very likely to die. Mortality rates are often very high, as high as 50% or more.

To prevent mushroom poisoning, doctors recommend not to eat strange mushrooms, unknown species because the possibility of poisoning is very high.

The doctor examines the patient. Photo: Hospital provides

Thuy Quynh