Parents need to give children fever-reducing medicine when the body temperature is over 38.5 degrees, use expectorants when the baby coughs with sputum or the sputum is too thick.
Pediatrician Manh Cuong, said that the treatment of children with Covid-19 is the same as that of adults, that is, “what symptoms do children have, parents should give medicine to treat those symptoms, not abuse drugs or abuse them.” too confused, leading to being taken advantage of by others”. Therefore, parents do not need to worry too much.
Here are some notes when using medicine for children with Covid-19 but it is best for mothers to still listen to the doctor’s opinion to have specific treatment methods for each child.
When the baby has a fever above 38.5 degrees, if there is a history of convulsions, it is over 38 degrees, parents need to give the child fever-reducing medicine.
– For babies under 12 months: use Efferalgan rectal suppositories 80-150 mg.
– Children from 1 year old: use powder, syrup such as paracetamol 150 mg, 250 mg.
Parents should note that if after 2-3 hours, the child does not have a fever, it is necessary to use Ibuprofen syrup alternately with Paracetamol. Paracetamol dose from 10-15 mg/kg, Ibuprofen dose 8-10 mg/kg.
Parents also need to combine warm compresses on the forehead, armpits, groin and loosen clothes, the room temperature should be cool, not too cold.
Group of medicines for cough
A baby who coughs a lot will affect eating, drinking, sleeping, playing, and studying. Parents need to encourage their children to drink plenty of water to reduce coughing. For babies under 6 months of age, mothers should breastfeed babies more often. Older children can add fruit juice to enhance vitamins and minerals, helping to improve resistance. Using a nebulizer, increasing the humidity of the air also helps children feel more comfortable. For older children, parents can instruct them to rinse their mouth with warm, dilute salt water 5-6 times a day.
The following medications should be taken as prescribed by a doctor:
– Cough medicine: Methopan syrup, AT deslotaradin, Halixol, U-thel syrupt…
– Nasal spray: Olyfrin, Otrivin Citrate…
– Small Otriven 0.025% (children under 2 years old); Otrivin (children over 2 years old) when the baby has a stuffy nose. Depending on the concentration to choose for your baby.
– Warm physiological saline to drip into the nose or use a spray bottle containing deep sea water to wash the nose, 5-6 times a day
Expectorants should be used when a child coughs with sputum or the sputum is too thick to spit out. Parents need to avoid using expectorants at the same time as cough suppressants and overuse of antibiotics. Before using, parents should consult a doctor for specific advice and instructions.
When the baby has a high fever, vomits a lot, has a lot of bowel movements (more than 3 times a day, loose or watery stools), parents need to replace electrolytes for their children.
– For children under 1 year old: give 5-10 ml of Oresol every 5 minutes (about a spoonful or needleless syringe). If you do not have Oresol, you can express milk and give it to your baby with a spoon.
– For children over 1 year old: give 5-15 ml of Oresol (depending on age), every 5 minutes.
Mothers are not allowed to mix Oresol into milk to give their children to drink. Currently, drug stores have packages of orange or pre-mixed Oresol powder.
For children who have diarrhea (greater than 3 times a day, loose or watery stools), in addition to Oresol, parents also need to supplement zinc and vitamin C, Virvic probiotics, enterogermina… or maybe must take antibiotics (full use 7-10 days, take the right dose and need a doctor’s prescription)
Supplement vitamins and minerals
Children infected with Covid-19, the body will be tired, especially if the fever is high. Therefore, young children need to increase breastfeeding. Children can drink fruit juice, supplement with Multivitamins, vitamins of groups B and D.
If the baby vomits a lot (usually 1-2 years old), the mother does not feed the baby much at once but divides many small meals; After feeding, do not lie down immediately, or should lie with your head high, breastfeeding in the correct position.
How to handle when children vomit:
– Parents need to immediately tilt the child’s head to the side to prevent the baby from choking on vomit. Then quickly clear the vomit from the child’s mouth, throat, and nose (mouth first, nose behind), by sucking or wrapping a gauze towel around your finger to absorb all the vomit.
– Cupping hands on both sides of the back to reassure the child, and at the same time help the child cough up the remaining vomit in the throat.
– Absolutely do not pick up the child when the child is vomiting because it will increase the risk of vomiting fluid into the lungs, which is very dangerous for the child.
– If the child vomits while sleeping, put the child to lie still, raise the head, and always let the upper body of the baby be higher than the bottom to avoid gastric reflux.
When your baby stops vomiting, give her a small amount of warm water or electrolyte water every 30 minutes to an hour. If the child continues to vomit, it is necessary to alternately give 50 ml of sugar water every 30 minutes to stabilize the child’s stomach.
For children over 2 years old, mothers can mix warm ginger water for children to drink little by little. If the baby shows signs of cyanosis, difficulty breathing, parents must immediately call a pediatrician. Older children also need to eat small meals, eat many meals a day.