Health

India recruited retired military medical doctor to join the anti-epidemic campaign


India’s Ministry of Defense said on May 9 that it would recruit hundreds of veterans in the medical field to assist against Covid-19 when the number of infections and deaths rose to a record.

In the press release, the Ministry of National Defense said it needs about 400 military medical doctors to serve on contracts for up to 11 months, and also invite more defense doctors to consult online. The new plan aims to reduce the burden on an overloaded health system.

On May 9, the country recorded more than 4,000 deaths, bringing the total number of deaths from Covid-19 to more than 242,000. The number of new cases increased by 403,000. India is hit hard by the second outbreak, the daily death record. The lack of oxygen and the hospital bed were getting worse, the morgue and crematorium were constantly overloaded and had to work day and night. Experts say the actual number of nCoV deaths and infections could be significantly higher.

Medical staff moved the body of a person who died from Covid-19 to the morgue in Ahmedabad, India, on May 8. Image: Reuters

Previously, India ordered the armed forces to assist the hospital in handling nCoV cases. During a meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 26, Chief of Staff of Defense Bipin Rawat said the oxygen supplied to the hospital would be taken from the armed forces’ reserves. The government allocates military medical infrastructure to treat the people.

The states placed strict blockade orders over the past month to stop the virus from spreading. Officials announced restrictions on public travel, closing cinemas, restaurants, pubs and shopping malls.

However, the pressure increased on Prime Minister Modi. The Indian Medical Association (IMA) called on the government to issue a “comprehensive, well-planned and advance notice” blockade, instead of sporadic night curfews and enacting state-by-state restrictions over several day.

“The IMA is very surprised to see the extremely indifferent and inappropriate action of the Ministry of Health against the painful crisis”, the representative of the Association said on May 8.

Thuc Linh (According to the Reuters)

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *