Sports

Despite news from Peng Shuai, women’s tennis reaffirms its “concern”


The WTA, the body which manages the women’s tennis circuit, announced on Monday, December 20, its ” worry “ about the fate of Peng Shuai, the day after an interview with the Chinese player who spoke for the first time on charges of rape.

“Keep silent rather than sully the image of China”: why Peng Shuai symbolizes the repression against the Chinese #MeToo

“These (public) appearances do not allay the WTA’s concerns about its well-being and its ability to communicate without censorship or coercion.”, the organization said in a statement.

The sequel after the advertisement

On November 2, a lengthy post on the player’s official Weibo account (China’s equivalent of Twitter) described a heartfelt but thwarted sentimental relationship with Zhang Gaoli, before and after he took on a high-ranking position at the top of the world. Communist regime.

“Lots of misunderstandings”

Married and forty years his senior, Zhang Gaoli was from 2013 to 2018 one of the seven most powerful politicians in China.

The post was promptly censored and the 35-year-old had disappeared from radar screens for three weeks, causing concern in the tennis world. For his first public address on the matter, Peng Shuai refuted any sexual assault.

Women’s tennis boss “remains deeply concerned” for Chinese player Peng Shuai

“First, I want to stress a very important point: I have never said or written that anyone who sexually assaulted me”, Peng Shuai told the Singaporean newspaper “Lianhe Zaobao” on the sidelines of a sporting event in Shanghai on Sunday.

The sequel after the advertisement

There have been “Many misunderstandings” on a case “Private”Peng Shuai, wearing a red t-shirt and black jacket, added in a cell phone interview.

Reappearance of the player

A reporter for a Chinese state media had previously posted a video of the player on social media.

Qingqing Chen, a reporter for the nationalist daily Global Times, tweeted a seven-second video on Sunday showing former world No. 1 doubles chatting with former basketball star Yao Ming.

Subscribe ! Support the work of a committed editorial team and join our community of 200,000 subscribers.

Take advantage of the € 1 offer
for 3 months with Google

By choosing this promotional subscription route, you accept the deposit of an analysis cookie by Google.

The reporter claims that the video was sent to her by a friend and was shot at a Nordic skiing promotion event in Shanghai. Chinese media outlets in recent weeks have repeatedly published photos of the player, along with a screenshot of an email attributed to her and where it is written. ” everything is fine “. But their authenticity raised serious doubts.

The sequel after the advertisement

Following the public disappearance of Peng Shuai, the WTA had canceled all its tournaments in China in early December and demanded a transparent investigation into the player’s accusations.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *