Health

Boy was stung by a wasp and almost died


Ho Chi Minh CityA 5-year-old boy was stung more than 15 times by a wasp, vomiting, loose stools, little urine, difficulty breathing, swelling of the sting site, and then gradually comatose.

The family gave first aid to relieve pain with betel leaf and lime, then took the baby to the emergency room at the City Children’s Hospital, nearly a month ago. The baby’s blood oxygen is very low, the pulse is difficult to catch, the blood pressure drops severely, the skin is yellow and the eyes are yellow. The stings are concentrated on the head, back, and buttocks, causing swelling of the eyelids.

Doctors intubated the baby on mechanical ventilation, rapidly increased the vasopressor dose, strongly anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic. Despite the combination of many treatment measures, the doctors still could not control the toxins and the multi-organ failure of the baby progressed rapidly.

Doctor Le Vu Phuong Thy, Head of the Intensive Care Unit Against Poisons, City Children’s Hospital, said that the baby had liver and kidney failure, heart function was severely affected, blood clotting disorder, very severe lung damage. The respiratory failure is getting worse, the ventilator can not help control. Doctors consulted urgently throughout the hospital, indicated ECMO intervention – extracorporeal membrane oxygenation device, the most modern means of respiratory support. The patient also received continuous dialysis in a timely manner.

Doctors intervene ECMO for pediatric patients. Photo: Provided by the hospital

“This case is only a little slow, it’s a cardiac arrest if ECMO is not supported in time,” said Dr. Thy. After receiving active treatment, the child’s condition gradually improved. The patient was weaned from ECMO after more than half a month and the endotracheal tube was extubated.

On July 20, after nearly a month of treatment, the baby’s multi-organ failure improved well, the lung damage was gradually stabilizing.

According to Dr. Thy, usually the severity of bee stings depends on the number of stings. For adults, when a bee stings more than 30 nodules, it will cause anaphylaxis, liver and kidney damage. Children only need more than 10 stings, which can lead to shock, multi-organ damage, hemolysis, acute kidney failure… even death if not handled promptly.

“For a bee sting like this, the toxin comes from the needle, so the needle needs to be removed immediately,” the doctor recommends. Quickly wash the stinger with soap, remove the needle, and apply a cold compress to relieve local pain. Particularly for people with atopic conditions such as dermatitis, allergies, when they see a rash and have signs of difficulty breathing after being stung by a bee, they should immediately go to the hospital. Absolutely do not prick for blood to bleed or apply tobacco of unknown origin because it can aggravate the condition.

In this case, the patient stayed at home for more than 8 hours, mainly vomiting, but when he arrived at the hospital, he was deeply shocked and had multiple organ failure. Doctors advise parents to take their children to a medical facility after being stung, especially when there are unusual signs.

Le Phuong

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *