Health

Boy swallows 25 marbles


Nghe AnProvincial Hospital of Obstetrics and Gynecology has successfully operated on 25 magnetic balls in the abdomen of a 37-month-old boy, residing in Vinh City.

On the afternoon of January 5, the baby was transferred from a lower-level hospital to Nghe An Obstetrics and Gynecology due to severe abdominal pain. From the test results and X-ray film of the abdomen, the doctor discovered that the patient had an intestinal obstruction due to a round foreign body, consisting of many small pellets stuck in a chain.

The surgical and anesthesiology team decided to perform emergency surgery. After three consecutive hours, the doctor removed 25 magnetic balls from the patient’s abdomen that were stuck together, causing intestinal obstruction, causing the duodenum and intestines to perforate in many places. The puncture points are sutured by the doctor.

After surgery, the baby temporarily fasted, received intravenous nutrition, stable health, but still needed further monitoring.

According to doctors, swallowing foreign objects such as toys, buttons, marbles, and stones is a common accident in young children. However, the case of patients swallowing a toy that is a string of toy magnets is rare.

The doctor recommends that parents be careful when choosing toys for their children, and carefully observe the surrounding environment to ensure safety.

Foreign body after removing from the patient’s abdomen. Photo: H Yen

Hai Binh