Infotech

Attacks of November 13: compensation for victims still in progress


Posted on Nov 12, 2020 at 4:49 PMUpdated Nov 12, 2020 6:18 PM

Five years after the attacks of November 13, which left 130 dead and more than 500 injured, the process of compensating victims is still under way. In total, 2,580 people have already been taken care of by the Guarantee Fund for Victims of Acts of Terrorism and Other Offenses (FGTI). These are relatives of deceased victims (709), wounded and their relatives (586) but also psychic victims (1,285).

For 90% of them, an offer of compensation was made. For the remaining 10%, the procedure is still not completed, in particular because their state of health ” is not stabilized “, Indicates the FGTI in a press release. The law requires that an independent medical expert approve an offer of compensation.

To date, 1,476 victims have accepted the offer made to them, or 65%. Others have yet to respond, or have taken the matter to a judge. The litigation rate was 2.5% last year and is currently 4%.

40 new requests in 2020

Since 2015, the organization has already paid 119 million euros as a deposit, an amount likely to approach 250 million euros at the end of the procedure. In addition, other victims continue to come forward, although they have 10 years to do so. Since the start of the year, the FGTI has thus received 40 new requests for support.

Amount of compensation paid since 2015.FGTI

Funded primarily by a contribution of 5.90 euros on each property insurance contract (home, automobile), the FGTI has, in total, paid 449.4 million euros to victims in 2019. This is mostly reparations for common law offenses (homicide, rape, etc.), victims of terrorism having received € 50.8 million.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *