Health

A blood clot in the heart shoots into the brain causing a stroke


Quang NinhThe 47-year-old woman suddenly appeared weak in the left half, speaking difficult, was taken to the emergency hospital to detect a cerebral infarction.

Doctor Nguyen Ngoc Tuyen, Department of Active Anti-Poison Resuscitation, Bai Chay Hospital, said that on January 13 blood test of the patient showed a disorder of lipid metabolism, echocardiography detected a tight mitral stenosis. . This is the cause of a blood clot that shoots up on the brain, blocking cerebral vessels, causing cerebral infarction.

The patient received emergency fibrinolytic drugs by the doctor. Fortunately due to timely hospitalization after stroke onset, the patient was awake, limb movement, recovery gradually, clearly speaking.

Another 48-year-old female patient, who was found unresponsive by the family member, was admitted to Bai Chay Hospital in a coma, and was placed with an endotracheal tube. The doctor diagnosed the patient with an extensive cerebral infarction of the bilateral hemisphere.

An electrocardiogram detects that the patient has atrial fibrillation (arrhythmia), forming a blood clot that shoots on the brain causing cerebral infarction. After a day of treatment, the patient was in a deep coma, severe brain edema, hypotension, the family asked to take her home.

Doctor taking care of a stroke patient. Image: Doctor provided.

According to Dr. Tuyen, statistics show that among stroke patients, about 80% have cerebral infarction, the remaining 20% ​​are cerebral bleeding, subarachnoid bleeding.

Cerebral infarction or cerebral ischemia is a condition in which a brain blood vessel is blocked by a blood clot, causing anemia in the area of ​​the brain that is nourished by that artery, leading to necrosis and death. The result is a decrease or loss of function of the body area dominated by that area of ​​the brain.

The doctor said that more and more young people, under 50 years old, have cerebral infarction, the rate increases by about 2% per year. The reason is that young people are often subjective and do not recognize the typical signs of cerebral infarction.

The leading causes of cerebral infarction are diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis, dyslipidemia, hypertension, thrombosis from the heart chamber, arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation, obesity … Can also cause cerebral infarction, such as blood clotting, blood cell disease, congenital blood vessel abnormalities.

Prolonged cerebral ischemia will lead to cerebral infarction if not promptly re-informed, leaving sequelae due to local nerve damage. Cold weather also increases the incidence of cerebral infarction.

Signs of a cerebral infarction occur suddenly, most commonly facial paralysis, unilateral paralysis, difficulty speaking, decreased or loss of sensation, in severe cases with confusion, deep coma or death.

The high-risk group for acute cerebral infarction is often those with conditions that increase the likelihood of a blood clot or damage the inner lining of the brain artery such as heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and disorders. blood clotting disorders. Smokers, alcoholics; People with a history of obesity, sedentary, high cholesterol, stress also easily lead to cerebral infarction, even for young people.

Doctors recommend to young people, to reduce the risk of cerebral infarction, need periodic physical exam to screen for risk factors. People with high blood pressure, metabolic diseases, obesity … need early treatment.

Change living habits in a positive direction such as quitting smoking, quitting alcohol, eating scientifically, eating a lot of vegetables and fruits, exercising regularly. In the family of someone with vascular abnormalities, hyperactivity, members should be tested to screen for risk factors.

Thuy Quynh