Health

4 people almost died after eating tubers


Quang NinhNot knowing that the tuber has a strong poison, 4 family members in Ha Long after eating, became dizzy, vomited food, and were hospitalized.

The family said that they have been growing this tuber for two years, it looks like a tuber, so they think it’s edible. After eating, the woman and her husband (42 years old) and two children had numbness in the tip of the tongue and the above symptoms. They were taken to the hospital.

Doctors at Bai Chay Hospital immediately gave first aid and resuscitated the epidemic. After 24 hours, the health status of 4 patients stabilized and were discharged.

On January 15, Doctor Le Tien Dung (Department of Active Resuscitation and Anti-Poisoning) said that the tuber is also known as the neem tuber, the white tuber, the white-brown tuber, the scientific name is Dioscorea hispida Dennst, belonging to the Cu family. brown (Dioscoreaceae). In the tubers and leaves of this plant there are toxic alkaloids dioscorein and dioscorein. Dioscorin is a powerful poison that causes convulsions and paralysis of the central nervous system.

“Normally with 10 mg can kill a horse, a slice the size of an apple is enough to kill an adult within 6 hours,” the doctor said. Meanwhile, dioscorecin is volatile, less toxic.

A picture of the roots brought by the family. Photo: provided by the doctor

According to Dr. Dung, many people have been poisoned with this tuber. The initial manifestation is an itching sensation in the throat accompanied by burning, watery discharge and then dizziness, drowsiness, vomiting blood, difficulty breathing… In severe cases, it can lead to coma and death.

“Fortunately, the 4 patients all ate in small quantities, arrived at the emergency room in time, so their health stabilized quickly, without any unfortunate consequences,” the doctor said.

Doctors recommend people not to eat foods such as tubers, fruits… of unknown origin. When there are symptoms of food poisoning such as abdominal pain, vomiting, headache, dizziness, diarrhea, difficulty breathing… should be transferred to the nearest medical facility for emergency treatment and waste treatment. timely poison.

Doctors at Bai Chay Hospital treated 4 patients with tuber poisoning.  Photo: Provided by the hospital

Doctors at Bai Chay Hospital treated 4 patients with tuber poisoning. Photo: Hospital provides

Minh Anh

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *