3 people suspected botulinum poisoning after eating rat meat

Kon TumThree people in Kon Ray district went to work in the fields, caught 10 mice and went home to process. After eating, they suffered from stomachache, nausea, and dizziness.

On December 8, a representative of the Kon Tum Department of Health said that three people with symptoms of poisoning were receiving mechanical ventilation, dialysis, and being treated at the Intensive Care Unit, Kon Tum General Hospital.

Three patients A Gen (17 years old), A Kien (34 years old), A Kien on the morning of December 6 entered the Kon Ray District Medical Center for emergency treatment and were transferred to Kon Tum Provincial General Hospital. The patients were admitted to the hospital with symptoms of abdominal pain, vomiting with headache, dizziness, great fatigue, pale skin and lips, difficulty breathing, poor ventilation of the lungs, respiratory failure. Doctors suspect this is a cluster of cases of botulinum poisoning after eating rat meat.

Kon Tum Provincial General Hospital – where is treating 3 people suspected of being poisoned. Photo: Ngoc Oanh

In March, 6 people in Kon Plong district (bordering Kon Ray district) were hospitalized after the “buffalo barn Tet” party, and were identified as having clostridium botulinum bacteria poisoning. Of these, two died.

Botulinum is a powerful neurotoxin, produced by anaerobic bacteria – bacteria that prefer closed environments such as canned foods or unqualified food environments to inhibit the growth and production of toxins.

The mechanism of botulinum toxicity is that the toxin moves in the blood, attacks the peripheral nerves, paralyzes the bilateral symmetrical muscles. The patient is paralyzed from top to bottom, starting from the eyelid muscles causing drooping eyelids, to a stiff mouth, difficulty in eating, swallowing, and then gradually spreading to the hands and feet. Finally, the respiratory muscles lose function, the patient cannot breathe on his own even though his mind is clear and awake.

Botulinum poisoning is classified as a rare disease because it has not appeared in Vietnam for 30-40 years. Vietnam does not produce or stockpile the used antitoxin serum in the world, Botulism Antitoxin Heptavalent. Last year, there were dozens of cases of poisoning caused by eating Minh Chay pate, and the World Health Organization (WHO) urgently sponsored 10 bottles of antidote to Vietnam. Each potion costs about $8,000.

Tran Hoa


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *